Eligibility for preschool
The Department for Education are introducing a mid-year intake into preschool from 2023. This means that children who turn 4 years old:
- Before 1 May continue to start preschool at the beginning of the year
- From 1 May to 31 October start preschool through the mid-year intake at the start of Term 3 of that year
- After 31 October start preschool at the beginning of the following year
Children will undertake 4 terms (1 year) of preschool, regardless of whether they start at the beginning of the year or through a mid-year intake.
Aboriginal children and children in care can start after they turn 3
If your child identifies as Aboriginal or if your child is or has been in care they’re eligible for 12 hours of preschool a week, after they turn 3. They will then be eligible for 15 hours per week of preschool in the year before they start school.
Children with disability or additional needs can start earlier
If you have a child with disability or additional needs they might be able to start preschool earlier if there are places available. Talk to the director if this applies to you.
Immunisation requirements before starting preschool
Children cannot be enrolled in or attend preschool unless all immunisation requirements are met (No Jab, No Play).
Further information on immunisation.
South Port Kindergarten operates under a Priority of Access Policy. This requires the centre to give priority of placement to families and children who live in the local area. Please refer to the Local Catchment Area map.
If you do not live within this area you may still place your child’s name on our waiting list because if there are places available, after children in the local area are enrolled, the director may select children from outside this area.
We begin by taking an enrolment enquiry from families who would like to be on the waiting list. Offers for enrolment are generally made in 2 rounds:
- Round 1 offers to local families begin in August
- Round 2 offers to non-local families begin in September, if places are available. Families not offered enrolment in this round will go on a waiting list for future consideration
We begin taking enrolment enquiries a year prior to Term 1 start date (approximately 29 January). Please fill in the online enrolment enquiry form or contact the centre.